Having a baby is one of the most joyful experiences in a woman’s life. What’s not that exciting are the physical changes that women can undergo during pregnancy and breastfeeding. You can be thrilled about the new addition to your family while despairing about your deflated breasts, loose abdominal skin and muscles, and pockets of fat.
Thankfully, a Mommy Makeover can help you look and feel great. A Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures that are customized to help each woman get back to her pre-baby body. These procedures commonly include breast surgery and a body contouring procedure like a tummy tuck, liposuction, or a lower body lift.
Do you think you’re ready for a Mommy Makeover? Here’s how you can tell:
1. You’re a Great Candidate
A Mommy Makeover addresses the changes that pregnancy can make to your body.
- Breasts: After pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding, breasts can be left deflated and elongated. Your perky, round breasts from before pregnancy have stretched and sagged, and your nipples may enlarge and point downward. A breast lift can restore your breasts, while breast augmentation can make return them to their former fullness. A combination of breast lift and augmentation can return the lift to your breasts and increase breast volume.
- Abdomen: It’s not uncommon for pregnancy to result in the separation of the abdominal muscles. This is called diastasis recti. During a tummy tuck, the abdominal muscles are repaired and extra skin is removed from the abdomen.
- Unwanted Fat: Pregnancy can cause pockets of fat to develop in places you never had fat before. Sometimes, this fat is resistant to dieting and exercise, remaining there no matter how many lifestyle changes you make. Liposuction is a sure way to remove this unwanted fat.
2. Your Youngest Child is at Least Six Months Old
Your body needs time to heal after pregnancy and childbirth. It may sound appealing to get your Mommy Makeover right after you give birth, but waiting will improve your results. After your child is born, you’ll need time to heal and regain your previous level of fitness. A woman who’s healthy and fit will heal better than one who is also trying to recover from pregnancy and childbirth. You should wait at least six months before your Mommy Makeover.
3. You Can Handle Recovery
New moms know what taking care of an infant is like — it’s hard! Every moment is dedicated to taking care of your baby.
The demands of such a young child can be difficult for someone who is recovering from surgery. After your Mommy Makeover, you’ll need to rest for several weeks. During that time, you won’t be able to carry, lift, or take care of your child by yourself. You’ll need someone who can help with these childcare demands.
4. You’re Done Having Children
This is one of the most important ways to help you decide if you’re ready for a Mommy Makeover. A pregnancy can impact and even undo all of the hard work and healing you did on the way to your results. Procedures should be postponed until you’re sure you won’t have more pregnancies in the future.
5. You’re Close to Your Goal Weight
The quality of your results depends on how close you are to your goal weight. The closer you are, the better they’ll be! If you gained weight during pregnancy, you should try to lose as much of it as possible through diet and exercise before your Mommy Makeover.
Are you ready for a Mommy Makeover? If you’re ready to reach your appearance goals and get back to your pre-baby body, Dr. Madry can help. Schedule your free consultation today.